Why Did I Do What I Did . . . 2,000 miles in 4 Days

My butt is sore and my body is aching.  I have returned from four days and 2,200 miles on the motorcycle in the sweltering heat.  It sounded like a lot of fun when I planned the trip, but as I got about 150 miles away from home and I lost my radio/music, I realized then that this wasn’t such a good idea anymore.

The heat was severe.  Even on a bike when you have the nice breeze – There was no nice breeze.
I got up to 495 and headed to the MA Turnpike before getting onto Rt. 84 through Hartford and into Pennsylvania when I finally made it to Williamsport around 9pm.  Thank God I made it.  I was hot!
After my speaking engagement and lunch with my PFEW friends I decided to hit the road and boy was that a bad idea.  Again, the HEAT was too much.
Onto the PA Turnpike (Rt. 80) heading towards Ohio I rode and tried to enjoy the ride, but the heat was tough.  Water . . . More Water . . . And More Water!
It was too much.  I stopped outside Cleveland, OH to get rest and ride the remainder of my ride on Friday being that I wasn’t in a rush to get to Mt. Pleasant.  I had till Saturday night.
Up early and ready to ride, I was on the bike and riding by 8am and rode all the way to Mt. Pleasant with a stop at Cabella’s.  During my stop and nice storm came in and cooled things off.  I never thought I would be so happy to see heavy rain while on the motorcycle.  Boo Yah!  I rode in the rain and kinda liked it.
Made it to Mt. Pleasant and chilled out at the Comfort Inn.  I turned off my phone, computer, and allowed myself to chill whereas nobody could find me or contact me.  I kinda liked it.  Although room service was horrible . . . I still enjoyed my night.
On Saturday, I wanted to get headed home as quick as possible.  I finished my speaking engagement and hit the road at 7:38 PM is what I saw on my GPS when I plugged in HOME.
My GPS then told me that if I drove through the night I could make it home for 9:00 AM.  175 miles and 10:00 PM I realized that I wasn’t going to drive through the night.  It was a perfect evening for riding too.  However, the bugs, deer, and bad accident I witnessed had me think to myself that I should be safe.  In Port Huron, MI I called it a night and got a good night sleep.
Up at 7:30 AM and 900 miles to go, I fueled up and headed east.  A traffic jam coming out of Canada and a minor altercation with a jackass New Yorker Egotistical Yankee fan, I was ready to continue riding.
I finished my ride 920 miles and pulled in my driveway at exactly the same time I left the night before – 7:40pm.
So, in short, I rode 920 miles in 24 hours with a comfy night stay and a brief traffic jam.  I could have done the 1,000 mile in 24 hour Iron Butt Ride.  Had I planned better, I could have been called one of the toughest motorcycle riders in the world.  Next time.
Funny is that the 920 miles was the best part of my ride.  Next time, I want to plan better and do the Iron Butt Ride and accomplish the feat of Toughest Motorcycle Rider.
I am home today and my butt is sore, my body is aching, and I am not going to the gym.  The heat was tough.  The ride was long.  The no music really impacts you more than you could imagine – Leaving for a very lonely ride.
I am happy to be home and ready for another ride.  Ride on!

Author:Jeff Yalden, Youth Motivational Speaker

Youth Motivational Speaker & Teen Life Coach. Since 1992, Jeff Yalden has been mesmerizing audiences with his engaging style and passion. Jeff is a story-teller that every where he speaks, he guarantees he is real and in the moment, perfect for every audience. He is one of a kind. He's interactive and nobody pours as much energy and passion into their programs that Jeff does. Guaranteed, Jeff will be a defining moment and a highlight of your students lives. www.JeffYalden.com

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply